Carrot (10) Chilli (43) DIY (7) Lettuce (13) Lychee (3) Mint (16) Pok Choy (15) Potato (8) Spring Onion (14)

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Aphids Problem

I discovered a huge colony of aphids on chilli pot, the whole plant was covered by hundreds of thousands of aphids.

I did a couple of things in the following order to get things under control.


1. Wide sticky tapes. 

Wrapped a piece of sticky tapes around my fingers and ran my hand over the plant. After a few rounds, I got rid of all the crawling aphids on the top of the leaves, then swapped new sticky tapes and did the back of the leaves.

2. Honey + Water

For the roots and hard to reach places on the plant, I sprayed 'honey water' all over it. Some people use 'dish washing liquid + water' but I think 'honey + water' is a safer option.

3. Ground Coffee Powder

I then sprinkled used ground coffee around the plant. I heard coffee powder is effective aphids repellants.

4. Banana skin.

I buried some banana skin in the soil.

5. Post implementation review.

Day 2, I found that the aphids colony is nearly wiped out. I could still find a few aphids here and there, so on with the 'sticky tapes' trick again.

- 'Instant Coffee + Water' or 'Milk + Water'

Once I got rid of visibly crawling aphids, I sprayed the plant with a mixture of 'instant coffee + water'.

Day 3, I am pleased to say that my aphids problem is gone.

As a prevention steps, I have planted garlic around the lettuce and pok-choy. Garlic odour also serves as aphids repellant.





No comments: